10th Worcester (Crown East) Scout Group
Hereford & Worcester Scout County
(c) Bill Meadows - Kestrel Patrol 1948 -1950 (back row 3rd from right)
1st Crown East Scouts was founded in June 1944. The Scouts met in an ex-army wooden meeting hut. The Group was first registered with the Scout Association as 1st Crown East (St Thomas') on 5 September 1944. The registration number was 23243. The Scoutmaster was William Walter Howell and the Group had eight Scouts.
Mr Cyril Smith who was Scoutmaster & ‘Skipper’ in 1944 and for several years was Group Scoutmaster, kept a log of events from 1947 – 1964.
On 24th June 1962 a newspaper cutting shows that the Scout Group’s 18th anniversary took place. It was marked by a service of rededication at Crown East church.
On 23rd June 1963 a 19th Anniversary service took place.
For many years thereafter there was a Gala Day and annual show.
On 27th June 1965 the 21st anniversary of the Group was celebrated by a Service and a Dinner.
On August 9th 1965 the Scout-hut was completely destroyed by fire.
On 31st January 1968 the Group changed it's name to 10th Worcester. It is not known why this was done but it was likely to have been part of a reorganisation of the Groups within the Worcester District. Cyril Smith is still listed as being the Group Scout Master on the Change In Group Registration form.
On August 9th 1969 thanks to fund-raising and generous donations a new hut – a fabricated unit on a concrete foundation was built. However, there was still a shortage of funds due to the loss of all equipment.
In 1981 the current Group badge was approved by the County Commissioner Sam Sowden.
Mark Strain the current District Commissioner first became involved in the Group in September 1982.
When Mark joined, the Cub Scout leader called Mick Oldfield ran for many years a Red Indian club too within the Scout Group.
Other Prominent names within the Scout Group were Brian(Scout Leader) and Josie Poole(Cub Scout Leader then Group Scout Leader). They, as a couple contributed no end to the Group. Nowadays we hold annually a backwoods cooking competition named the Brian and Josie Poole shield.
A new stores and side room extension was opened by the then County Commissioner John Constance on 29th Aprill 1995. This is commemorated by a plaque on the outside of the building.
The Scout hut had major renovations in 1996 under the tenure of Paul Coglan Chairman.
Brief History compiled by Raj Strain current Group Scout Leader with additions from the Scout Archives at Gilwell Park. Main source of information Log of Scoutmaster Mr Cyril Smith who was the current District Commissioner’s Great Uncle. Synopsis dated July 2013.